R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E34/E28 Forums > General 5 Series Technical

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
golde30
R3V OG
 
golde30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 11,454
Send a message via AIM to golde30
e34 m50 w/ZF trans and m20 flywheel/clutch?

Hey guys,

I am starting my 5spd swap on my e34T, and the flywheel/clutch setup from my parts car is trash. Sooo, i was wondering if any1 knows any reason why an m20 flywheel and clutch and starter wouldnt work on this swap. Also, the parts car i got was a 1995 525i, but the tranny is a ZF. I could have sworn the late model e34 came with getrags, and that you cannot swap them around. weird huh?
__________________
1988 325IS LM '89spec Sterling Grey Metallic-S52 OBD1 Powered-E30 M3 5lug-CF Bits all over

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!
golde30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Wanganstyle
R3VLimited
 
Wanganstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SF bay area
Posts: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by golde30 View Post
Hey guys,

I am starting my 5spd swap on my e34T, and the flywheel/clutch setup from my parts car is trash. Sooo, i was wondering if any1 knows any reason why an m20 flywheel and clutch and starter wouldnt work on this swap. Also, the parts car i got was a 1995 525i, but the tranny is a ZF. I could have sworn the late model e34 came with getrags, and that you cannot swap them around. weird huh?
Our race e30 has:

Dohc 24v engine swap
Zf sg320 trans
M20 flywheel+starter and m20 clutch

The e34s that have getrag g250 boxes have non compatible driveshafts/shift linkages/diff flange/clutch pressure plate patterns. Its a royal pita.

I did a e34 525it s54 zf5; great combo.



Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Billet Original CNC LSD for 188K
http://www.wanganstyle.com/

S54B32 E36 M3 DTA S100 Sedan Street car full swap:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

m20+6 speed dyno:
Wanganstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:05 AM   #3
golde30
R3V OG
 
golde30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 11,454
Send a message via AIM to golde30
Yah for some reason a ZF is in this e34. So I'm assuming all those parts were already swapped out to be compatible. I mite out my extra s50 in the wagon if I get bored of the m50.
__________________
1988 325IS LM '89spec Sterling Grey Metallic-S52 OBD1 Powered-E30 M3 5lug-CF Bits all over

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!
golde30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Wanganstyle
R3VLimited
 
Wanganstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SF bay area
Posts: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by golde30 View Post
Yah for some reason a ZF is in this e34. So I'm assuming all those parts were already swapped out to be compatible. I mite out my extra s50 in the wagon if I get bored of the m50.
give it a s52 for more CC's- the heavy E34 can use it.
__________________
Billet Original CNC LSD for 188K
http://www.wanganstyle.com/

S54B32 E36 M3 DTA S100 Sedan Street car full swap:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

m20+6 speed dyno:
Wanganstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
golde30
R3V OG
 
golde30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 11,454
Send a message via AIM to golde30
no, e30 gets the s52, no reason to put a good motor in the beater...
__________________
1988 325IS LM '89spec Sterling Grey Metallic-S52 OBD1 Powered-E30 M3 5lug-CF Bits all over

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!
golde30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
Onizukachan
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 161
Yes you can swap them, you just have to swap the zf specific shift linkage exhaust bracket and driveshaft along with it.

Do the m20 flywheel, just make sure you get the extra weight machined off the back so it will clear the m50.
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
Wanganstyle
R3VLimited
 
Wanganstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SF bay area
Posts: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by golde30 View Post
no, e30 gets the s52, no reason to put a good motor in the beater...
True, s52 is alot smoother.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Billet Original CNC LSD for 188K
http://www.wanganstyle.com/

S54B32 E36 M3 DTA S100 Sedan Street car full swap:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

m20+6 speed dyno:
Wanganstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
MeanM50
Advanced Member
 
MeanM50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: PDX Oregon
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by golde30 View Post
1995 525i, but the tranny is a ZF.

__________________

MeanM50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:13 AM   #9
Metallated
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Seattle
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
Yes you can swap them, you just have to swap the zf specific shift linkage exhaust bracket and driveshaft along with it.

Do the m20 flywheel, just make sure you get the extra weight machined off the back so it will clear the m50.
Do you remember know how much needs to get taken off? I assume the same applies to my m52...
__________________


Tan rear seat for sale, good condition, $30!
Metallated is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 - 2020 R3VLimited LLC