R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > E30 FAQ and DIY

Old 01-22-2017, 04:38 AM   #31
jgilber0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGGrunt View Post
I know I could weld tabs on the bolt head end to stop them from spinning but, I had another idea... What about using star washers on them? My thinking is that the star washer will bite into the bell housing and bolt to provide enough friction so the bolt won't spin while the nut is tightened.

Thoughts?

I will report success or failure in a couple days when my new starter arrives.
Well, did that work? Hope so...
jgilber0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:03 PM   #32
essi1553
E30 Addict

I just had to do this job and I think I've done it the easiest way possible. I didn't disconnect any coolant lines, and very few electrical connections (I think 3).

The secret weapon was a 3/8 line wrench (for use on brake lines) I placed that over the torx bolts near the firewall (it may take some maneuvering but it fits on both from the top of the engine and will hold). I did the whole job in under an hour and a half. I only had to get under the car to loosen the bottom starter nut. I didn't use a single wobble extension, and only one 6 inch socket extension. The only tricky part was removing the line wrench, and that was easily solved with a light tap from a rubber mallet handle (due to tight spaces)
essi1553 is offline   Reply With Quote