R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > Car Audio & Electronics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2017, 02:51 PM   #136
bradnic
R3VLimited
 
bradnic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,696
No worries dude. We all learn here.
Peace
bradnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:00 PM   #137
Boggie1688
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bay area
Posts: 40
Head unit is back after sending it to Jay.

Boy I missed it!

You all are in for a real treat when the production board comes out.
Boggie1688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:40 PM   #138
Chrisbike
E30 Addict
 
Chrisbike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Highlands Ranch CO
Posts: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggie1688 View Post
Head unit is back after sending it to Jay.

Boy I missed it!

You all are in for a real treat when the production board comes out.
Jay,
Do you think they will be in production by August?
__________________

91' 325iX Sterling Silber
Chrisbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:08 PM   #139
jaysterling
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Mountain View CA
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbike View Post
Jay,
Do you think they will be in production by August?
If all goes to plan! I placed the order for 50 boards last week they said 4-5 weeks production time. There are other pieces I'm waiting on, but the boards will probably be the bottleneck.

About those other pieces - I found a manufacturer who is making the RF shields, they should be here in a week or two. I also decided to include a microphone in the kit so you'll really get everything you need. I've sourced the mic I've been recommending and I'm working on a bulk order from the supplier, hopefully finalize that this week.

Last on the parts sourcing - so you don't have to remove the lid on the radio to unplug the mic cable if you need to remove the radio from the car, I'm having an audio cable manufacturer make up some 6" mono extension cables that will be thin enough fit in the passage through the chassis and will give you a disconnection point outside the radio.

The last week or so I've also been working on a pogo bed programmer and testing board to automate the testing that needs to happen on every one of the BT boards. It makes a bunch of temporary electrical connections to the board under test via spring-loaded contact pins, checks voltages, checks the MCU is alive, the Bluetooth module outputs audio within spec, etc. I should get those boards this week, then assembly and firmware for that. The idea is to eventually have the assembly house operate the tests using my fixture for future production runs, but I'll have to get it polished first.

Exciting times, starting to come together!
jaysterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:14 PM   #140
Boggie1688
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bay area
Posts: 40
EDIT:

Didn't realize you were having someone make the extension cable.

Any chance I could buy one?

Last edited by Boggie1688; 07-17-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Boggie1688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:45 PM   #141
jaysterling
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Mountain View CA
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggie1688 View Post
EDIT:

Didn't realize you were having someone make the extension cable.

Any chance I could buy one?
Yeah I'll send one to any of the beta testers that want one. When they come in I'll send one your way.
jaysterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:11 AM   #142
Boggie1688
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bay area
Posts: 40
Sweet Thxs!
Boggie1688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:42 AM   #143
DetroitEE
Noobie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Detroit
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysterling View Post
Yeah I'll send one to any of the beta testers that want one. When they come in I'll send one your way.
Are you still looking for beta testers, or are you past the beta testing phase? I have a CM5908 and am very interested. If you don't need any more beta testers, just keep us posted on when we can buy one! Thanks
DetroitEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:24 AM   #144
jaysterling
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Mountain View CA
Posts: 43
The beta testing round is done now, I'm just waiting on the first production run to get done. Yesterday the factory making the circuit boards told me August 14th is the scheduled finish date.

Pretty much all the other bits are here already. The short mic extension cables came in a few days ago. They're 2 inches shorter than expected (6 inches long overall, I meant 6 inch cable length) but it looks like they'll be OK, just would prefer a little longer. But hey, this is why you start with just 50.

Anyway, I'll definitely be posting something here when they're ready.
jaysterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:19 AM   #145
earthwormjim
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: California
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysterling View Post
The beta testing round is done now, I'm just waiting on the first production run to get done. Yesterday the factory making the circuit boards told me August 14th is the scheduled finish date.

Pretty much all the other bits are here already. The short mic extension cables came in a few days ago. They're 2 inches shorter than expected (6 inches long overall, I meant 6 inch cable length) but it looks like they'll be OK, just would prefer a little longer. But hey, this is why you start with just 50.

Anyway, I'll definitely be posting something here when they're ready.
HA I've had the same exact issue with specifying cable length with the Chinese CMs I've used. Specifically antenna length for bluetooth, no matter if I specify cable + 1/4 wavelength or include 1/4 wavelength in the total length I give, they always give the exact opposite of what I want.
earthwormjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:10 PM   #146
jaysterling
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Mountain View CA
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwormjim View Post
HA I've had the same exact issue with specifying cable length with the Chinese CMs I've used. Specifically antenna length for bluetooth, no matter if I specify cable + 1/4 wavelength or include 1/4 wavelength in the total length I give, they always give the exact opposite of what I want.
Good, so I'm not alone. I figured since I wasn't explicit they just aired on the side of saving money.
jaysterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:49 AM   #147
Brian697
Noobie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 23
Sub'd.

Great effort to get this going, looking forward to the production units and getting the OEM radio back in place!
Brian697 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:02 AM   #148
george graves
I waste 90% of my day here and all I got was this stupid title
 
george graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 19,228
Just a idea, but you might want to do an update to this post as a explanation of what's going on, and what you're up to. I feel that all the tech details are scaring people away from a cool product.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-B View Post
hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?
george graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 - 2020 R3VLimited LLC