R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Alternative Tuning / W.A.R / Megasquirt / etc

Old 04-24-2019, 06:35 AM   #1
E30RoadKing

MSPNP E30/Innovate LC-2 Install

Hey gang,

I have the MS-PNP box for my E30, and I'm attempting to install an Innovate LC-2 wideband oxygen sensor. I have the back module with the four wires (red, black, yellow and brown). I have my red wire hooked to the switched 12v pin, the black one to the ground pin, and the yellow wire to the oxygen sensor signal pin, all in the back of the options port on the MSPNP box. my brown wire I have taped off. The issue I'm having is that the LC-2 will not complete it's free air calibration, it endlessly flashes the green lights twice per second, indicating that the sensor is heating up. The manual states this process should take 30-60 seconds, but it kept flashing for roughly 10 minutes before I turned it off. I tried Googling this issue for help, but only found something similar for a first gen Miata, where the OP was told to not use the MSPNP power and ground pins for a wideband, citing that the LC-2 needs 5a 12v and not the 0.5a that the ECU supplies, and that the ECU should never be used for a ground for this. Can someone with experience please advise?
1986 Chevrolet K30 Silverado - SOLD
1987 BMW 325es - Totaled
1987 BMW 325ic - Traded
1990 BMW 325is - First car/Sunday Cruiser
2004 BMW 325xi - Totaled
2007 BMW 335i vert - Traded
2018 Chevrolet Cruze - Totaled
2019 Subaru Impreza
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1980 Suzuki GS850 - SOLD
2004 Harley Davidson Softail - Traded
2007 Suzuki GZ250 - SOLD
https://www.flickr.com/photos/155574105@N08/albums
E30RoadKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:40 PM   #2
justinpirie

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30RoadKing View Post
Hey gang,

I have the MS-PNP box for my E30, and I'm attempting to install an Innovate LC-2 wideband oxygen sensor. I have the back module with the four wires (red, black, yellow and brown). I have my red wire hooked to the switched 12v pin, the black one to the ground pin, and the yellow wire to the oxygen sensor signal pin, all in the back of the options port on the MSPNP box. my brown wire I have taped off. The issue I'm having is that the LC-2 will not complete it's free air calibration, it endlessly flashes the green lights twice per second, indicating that the sensor is heating up. The manual states this process should take 30-60 seconds, but it kept flashing for roughly 10 minutes before I turned it off. I tried Googling this issue for help, but only found something similar for a first gen Miata, where the OP was told to not use the MSPNP power and ground pins for a wideband, citing that the LC-2 needs 5a 12v and not the 0.5a that the ECU supplies, and that the ECU should never be used for a ground for this. Can someone with experience please advise?

You should have the LC2 on a switched relay, you can use the MS power to control the relay. Power and ground should be from the car, not MS. Innovate say this specifically in their installation instructions. Ask me how I know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
justinpirie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:35 PM   #3
citizen_insane
Advanced Member

As you found online and Justin mentioned in his post above, you can not power the LC2 from the Megasquirt. The factory harness already has a positive and ground which you can reuse (just chop connector off the original O2 sensor, extend the wires and use it to power the LC2). The factory setup already has a relay in the engine bay for the O2 sensor. Depending on how you have your car hooked up, you can trigger this relay various ways. Mine is setup to trigger when the key is in accessory or run mode.
citizen_insane is offline   Reply With Quote