R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > Car Audio & Electronics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2017, 09:32 AM   #166
Hamgul
Noobie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3
Jay,
That is super cool good for you man! I am looking forward to hearing back from you when units are available for sale (I need two).

Hamik
Hamgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:36 PM   #167
stonea
R3VLimited
 
stonea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 2,750
Congrats on the self employment! One day I hope to do the same.
__________________
My Garage
2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
Feedback

Instagram: stone.hopkins_757_
stonea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:51 PM   #168
DetroitEE
Noobie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Detroit
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamgul View Post
Jay,
That is super cool good for you man! I am looking forward to hearing back from you when units are available for sale (I need two).

Hamik
Not to be a total buzz kill here...but IMO there should be a 1 per person limit because of the very limited initial quantity. I would be willing to bet that there are more than 50 people interested. Obviously this is up to Jay, just my 2 cents.

Really looking forward to this, nice work!
DetroitEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:16 PM   #169
Court M3
R3V OG
 
Court M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: All Over
Posts: 6,585
I'm down whenever these are ready!
Court M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:46 PM   #170
jaysterling
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Mountain View CA
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitEE View Post
Not to be a total buzz kill here...but IMO there should be a 1 per person limit because of the very limited initial quantity. I would be willing to bet that there are more than 50 people interested. Obviously this is up to Jay, just my 2 cents.

Really looking forward to this, nice work!
Yes, forgot to mention, it'll be 1 per person. I'm even thinking a group buy thread might be better since it's all out in the open and timestamped to avoid early posters. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for the thumbs up guys, can't wait to rock and roll with this. I just installed a whip antenna on top of my workshop for radios on the bench, so now it's really official
jaysterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:06 AM   #171
James Crivellone
Server Admin/Site Owner ^---Warning, may have short patience at any time!
 
James Crivellone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 6,160
Send a message via ICQ to James Crivellone Send a message via AIM to James Crivellone Send a message via MSN to James Crivellone Send a message via Yahoo to James Crivellone
Question, as the CM5907 is next out (and what I have lying around) may I just buy an outfitted CM5908 from you to save the hassle?
__________________
James Crivellone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:27 AM   #172
george graves
I waste 90% of my day here and all I got was this stupid title
 
george graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 19,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysterling View Post
So, after a lot of thought, I've announced that I'm leaving the company in January to pursue this full time.
As much as I wish you the best of luck, I will caution you, that for every "Take My Money! PLEASE!" reply you get, it's only about 1 out of 100 people actually cough up cash. Even if you have a hot item, you'll be sorely disappointed in the difference in excitement of a product vs actually sales. Take this from someone that has been there and done that.

With that said, I love my customers. I've been selling stuff to the e30 community for 10 years now. I have had some good success - but the e30 market is way to niche to do anything full time. Doesn't matter if it's sub woofer boxes, or radio upgrades. It's way too small of a market to quit a job over. I hope I'm not right....And you rock on with this - and prove me totally wrong.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-B View Post
hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?
george graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:08 PM   #173
Court M3
R3V OG
 
Court M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: All Over
Posts: 6,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Crivellone View Post
Question, as the CM5907 is next out (and what I have lying around) may I just buy an outfitted CM5908 from you to save the hassle?
+1 would rather just buy and send you mine as a core.
Court M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:44 PM   #174
jaysterling
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Mountain View CA
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by george graves View Post
As much as I wish you the best of luck, I will caution you, that for every "Take My Money! PLEASE!" reply you get, it's only about 1 out of 100 people actually cough up cash. Even if you have a hot item, you'll be sorely disappointed in the difference in excitement of a product vs actually sales. Take this from someone that has been there and done that.

With that said, I love my customers. I've been selling stuff to the e30 community for 10 years now. I have had some good success - but the e30 market is way to niche to do anything full time. Doesn't matter if it's sub woofer boxes, or radio upgrades. It's way too small of a market to quit a job over. I hope I'm not right....And you rock on with this - and prove me totally wrong.
Thanks George. The e30 market itself would be too niche, but I'm not planning to only support e30's. I want to build up a line of these boards that support different cars. Other BMWs, Mercedes, Porsche, older Corvettes - anything that's desirable and doesn't have a solid retrofit product already available, I'm interested in supporting.

Even still, the question will be whether this is a large enough market. But I'm ready for a job change anyway. If it turns out to not be viable, I'll go join the workforce again and maybe sell these on the side, slow down on development of new products. I see that possibility and I'm OK with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court M3 View Post
+1 would rather just buy and send you mine as a core.
I'm thinking I'll probably offer a mail-in installation service, but sending out a complete unit up front and taking a core later I don't think I'll do. The reason is that I'm not completely rebuilding these radios as is often the case with sending back a core. Because of that, I'd have to start testing of all the cores to make sure they function 100% correctly before I could resell them. If they don't, I'd be stuck repairing them on my own dime and time. On top of that, the cores would be in a range of cosmetic shapes. I can't sell someone a unit that's all banged up who is sending me a pristine core. So I just see a lot of headaches and unhappy customers going down that path. If I install in a customer-supplied radio, all that goes away.
jaysterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:19 PM   #175
TrentW
R3VLimited
 
TrentW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,755
I'm sold. Hope the wait time isn't TOO long.
TrentW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #176
bradnic
R3VLimited
 
bradnic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentW View Post
I'm sold. Hope the wait time isn't TOO long.
Stop by sometime and check it out Trent.. have it installed in my vert
bradnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:59 AM   #177
Chrisbike
E30 Addict
 
Chrisbike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Steamboat Springs, CO
Posts: 501
Projected date available?
__________________

91' 325iX Sterling Silber
Chrisbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM   #178
george graves
I waste 90% of my day here and all I got was this stupid title
 
george graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 19,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysterling View Post
I want to build up a line of these boards that support different cars. Other BMWs, Mercedes, Porsche, older Corvettes - anything that's desirable and doesn't have a solid retrofit product already available, I'm interested in supporting.
Awesome! Pro tip, don't bother joining a bunch of forums to drum up interest. Even with the best intentions, you'll be seen as a outsider with a zero post count - only there to make money - and scorned. Facebook is where it's at.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-B View Post
hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?
george graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:47 AM   #179
TrentW
R3VLimited
 
TrentW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnic View Post
Stop by sometime and check it out Trent.. have it installed in my vert
You around MTW?
TrentW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 - 2020 R3VLimited LLC