R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Transmission & Driveline

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2019, 04:15 PM   #16
kronus
R3V OG
 
kronus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: fan franfisco
Posts: 12,676
The larger flange uses a larger diameter CV that will not fit into the subframe hole. The smaller E34 CV just barely fits through the subframe as-is.

Its internal spline went straight onto my E30 iX touring rear driveshaft, but it came *off* a typical E34 driveshaft. If you are piecing together a driveshaft, you can use an E34 rear section for the spline drive since E30 touring driveshafts are not exactly growing on trees.
__________________
cars beep boop
kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:19 PM   #17
kronus
R3V OG
 
kronus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: fan franfisco
Posts: 12,676
there is more information in a couple of posts earlier in the thread I linked - see #56 onward
__________________
cars beep boop
kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:06 AM   #18
The Dark Side of Will
R3VLimited
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeirBrennerE30 View Post
So thats an e34 CV on an e30ix driveshaft in the link you sent?
E30 iX Touring *ONLY*. The iX sedans/coupes have a four bolt flange and a u-joint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronus View Post
Its internal spline went straight onto my E30 iX touring rear driveshaft, but it came *off* a typical E34 driveshaft. If you are piecing together a driveshaft, you can use an E34 rear section for the spline drive since E30 touring driveshafts are not exactly growing on trees.
Interesting bit of trivia... good on BMW for keeping common splines.
The Dark Side of Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:02 AM   #19
BeirBrennerE30
R3VLimited
 
BeirBrennerE30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bridgewater MA
Posts: 2,719
Send a message via AIM to BeirBrennerE30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronus View Post
The larger flange uses a larger diameter CV that will not fit into the subframe hole. The smaller E34 CV just barely fits through the subframe as-is.

Its internal spline went straight onto my E30 iX touring rear driveshaft, but it came *off* a typical E34 driveshaft. If you are piecing together a driveshaft, you can use an E34 rear section for the spline drive since E30 touring driveshafts are not exactly growing on trees.
Do you remember the part number for that e34 CV? 26 11 1 226 881??
__________________
e30sport.net
'15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
'86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
'89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual
BeirBrennerE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #20
kronus
R3V OG
 
kronus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: fan franfisco
Posts: 12,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeirBrennerE30 View Post
Do you remember the part number for that e34 CV? 26 11 1 226 881??
I don't *remember* it, because that would be ridiculous. I did take a photo, though -



that appears to be a Lobro number though, not BMW. it came out of an 89 535i, if that helps.
__________________
cars beep boop
kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #21
BeirBrennerE30
R3VLimited
 
BeirBrennerE30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bridgewater MA
Posts: 2,719
Send a message via AIM to BeirBrennerE30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronus View Post
I don't *remember* it, because that would be ridiculous. I did take a photo, though -
Lol you don't keep a spreadsheet with parts used?

For a pre 9/90 525i it looks like you would have been using: 26 11 1 226 881, 80mm bolt circle with 8mm bolts, 24tooth spline. That fits flange "B" from the photo above. The e30ix touring apparently has the same bolt pattern but you cant buy the CV separately it seems.

Post 9/90 the e34 525 switched to 26 11 1 229 075, 86mm bolt circle with 10mm bolts, 25tooth spline. that fits flange "A" from the photo above. This is the same CV from the e36 M3, and I think the same bolt pattern but different CV part number from the e46 M3 (32tooth spline).

I think there is only a 3-4mm radius difference between the 2.
__________________
e30sport.net
'15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
'86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
'89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Last edited by BeirBrennerE30; 04-17-2019 at 01:15 PM.
BeirBrennerE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:04 PM   #22
kronus
R3V OG
 
kronus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: fan franfisco
Posts: 12,676
yes, then 26 11 1 226 881 is the right one.

you won't have 3mm of radius to play with in the subframe hole. I had to trim the CV boot's shield to clear the subframe without rubbing.
__________________
cars beep boop
kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 - 2020 R3VLimited LLC