R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Transmission & Driveline

Old 04-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #226
mindspin311
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanganstyle View Post
Not gaining anything besides understeer.

Bmw kinda really knows what they are doing with the factory lsd setting. If yours is worn out and your budget is limited to DIY Then just making it new Oem 2 plate spec is the best you can do.

Oem new 2 plate configuration is better handling than 3 with free data setting; free data on the internet from folks selling subpar knock off parts is just that.

Want real parts? Bmw and Porsche sell the real zf stuff.

Want cheap crap; check with gayer “motorsports” or some place in Eastern Europe

If you have a budget for a full unit build with national championship results (my local clients swept nasa National tt4 class with 1-2-3 place finish 2018, local spec Miata won overall); I can assist.

Winning spec data will never be shared for free.
Really don't have the budget for a full build. I can DIY most of it. Just not sure the route to take. Can measure, etc, get cap machined for a 4 clutch if it's the right direction.
mindspin311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:48 AM   #227
Wanganstyle
R3VLimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindspin311 View Post
Really don't have the budget for a full build. I can DIY most of it. Just not sure the route to take. Can measure, etc, get cap machined for a 4 clutch if it's the right direction.
best of luck figuring out an optimal good handling situation; number of plates isnt the critical part of the setup, 4/5/6 plates and 20-26 plates all can produce an optimal outcome depending on how setup.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine
Wanganstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:20 PM   #228
TheB1G Lebowski
E30 Addict

Hello,

I'm trying to find the answer through this thread but I think that my question is a little more vague than most on here. But what i'm wanting to learn is which LSD will fill the role for the average DD while slipping out on back roads once and a while to carve a few corners up in the country.

Just something good on the highway and street, but still have enough on the bottom to get out of its own way. The thing that is really sucking is when I try to go up a steep drive way (my house, which I don't even think about anymore lol) or an entrance to a parking lot and my coilovers bottom out and my open diff is just laughing at me while my wheel's hanging out up in the air doing a lot of nothing.

Thank you so much!
TheB1G Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:38 AM   #229
Wanganstyle
R3VLimited

Top speed by Wanganstyle; LSD Diff Puzzle thread; ask me to spill beans here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheB1G Lebowski View Post
Hello,

I'm trying to find the answer through this thread but I think that my question is a little more vague than most on here. But what i'm wanting to learn is which LSD will fill the role for the average DD while slipping out on back roads once and a while to carve a few corners up in the country.

Just something good on the highway and street, but still have enough on the bottom to get out of its own way. The thing that is really sucking is when I try to go up a steep drive way (my house, which I don't even think about anymore lol) or an entrance to a parking lot and my coilovers bottom out and my open diff is just laughing at me while my wheel's hanging out up in the air doing a lot of nothing.

Thank you so much!
0 mile new bmw factory lsd -> best option for 98% of street folks. As delivered in e30m (gods chariot), e36m (better handling and improved gods chariot)

a brand new wavetrack gear type lsd works fantastic for street use also.

If you need a unit of any sort/spec properly built send a PM or if you would like specific consultation of gearing for your setup.

I setup local clients for San Francisco Bay Area driveway parking with steep one wheel airborne; this is normal for us.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine
Old 04-28-2019, 11:21 PM   #230
abit
Grease Monkey

one quick question!

yesterday teared up my diff, in one moment things got interesting...

nevermind.....so, lil bit lost in parts sequence
i have grinded different ramp angles.
increased angle on acceleration.
I think they were positioned like this...is this right?
Old 04-30-2019, 07:15 AM   #231
Wanganstyle
R3VLimited

Top speed by Wanganstyle; LSD Diff Puzzle thread; ask me to spill beans here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abit View Post
one quick question!

yesterday teared up my diff, in one moment things got interesting...

nevermind.....so, lil bit lost in parts sequence

i have grinded different ramp angles.

increased angle on acceleration.

I think they were positioned like this...is this right?

You ground it, do you know what you are actually doing to the metal? - Did you check the rc hardness of surface and what you have exposed?

the surface of the center ramps are hardened; the RC (rockwell) is 59-60; underneath the surface the rockwell is 26-29; depending on how its cut and heat impacted.

The center cross bars are rockwell 59-60; they will errode the ramps and cut their own circular groove into the center part you cut unless you heat treat it post cutting;
after heat treating the surface will not be flat anymore so you have even larger problems.

The BMW DTM E30M used more DECCEL lock than accel. Why are you adding more accel lock?
Why are you even messing with ramp angle if you do not know what you are aiming for???

If you wanted a lsd unit with different ramp section selection you can just BUY it brand new from Drexler; its not that expensive.

Obviously you need to know what you are doing or the entire effort is a waste
This is pretty counter intuitive to fuck with God's chariot and what the brilliant engineers @ bmw setup from the factory

Last edited by Wanganstyle; 04-30-2019 at 08:33 AM.