R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Alternative Tuning / W.A.R / Megasquirt / etc

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2019, 11:53 PM   #136
Jaxx_
E30 Mastermind
 
Jaxx_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Durham, NC, USA
Posts: 1,773
there is a soft spark limiter, it will retard timing to a certain amount before a hard limiter. It is supposed to make the "hard" limit less abrupt. Usually the base tune timing pull is 12deg, but I've never seen it prevent the hard limit--so it'll keep pulling until spark and/or fuel cut if you have it enabled.


I really doubt those are 23.8 gph, as that means they are like 1500cc/min injectors...perhaps 23.8lb/hr?

If you don't have dead times for the injectors themselves, leave the dead times alone.
__________________
'84 318i M10B18 | 93whp/90ftlbs | 147- Safari Beige | MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
Jaxx_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:45 AM   #137
Joegreen02
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Brownsville Texas
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxx_ View Post
there is a soft spark limiter, it will retard timing to a certain amount before a hard limiter. It is supposed to make the "hard" limit less abrupt. Usually the base tune timing pull is 12deg, but I've never seen it prevent the hard limit--so it'll keep pulling until spark and/or fuel cut if you have it enabled.


I really doubt those are 23.8 gph, as that means they are like 1500cc/min injectors...perhaps 23.8lb/hr?

If you don't have dead times for the injectors themselves, leave the dead times alone.


Lol yes 23.8 lb/hr and no I couldn't find dead times. I'll check the soft limiter setting


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joegreen02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:11 AM   #138
Joegreen02
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Brownsville Texas
Posts: 80
So..... 0.035 gap on the cps and she is revving free as a bird. 6550 no problem. Can't wait to see what it puts down on the dyno next time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joegreen02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #139
Fraser
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Salida, CO
Posts: 149
Send a message via AIM to Fraser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joegreen02 View Post
So..... 0.035 gap on the cps and she is revving free as a bird. 6550 no problem. Can't wait to see what it puts down on the dyno next time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No kidding- I know you mentioned early it's "mostly stock", but what all is done to this motor?
__________________

325iX Turdbo RallyX/Beater/Shuttle Vehicle
Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #140
Joegreen02
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Brownsville Texas
Posts: 80
Megasquirt Timing and Fuel Map Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
No kidding- I know you mentioned early it's "mostly stock", but what all is done to this motor?


So far I have deleted the maf, and have a 3" intake

long tube equal length headers and 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust with magnaflow resonator 53956 and sport muffler 10416.

Febi HD new version rocker arms, and schrick 284 cam.

New Greenish blue timing belt and bmw tensioner is a good one can't recall the brand

Ac and power steering deleted about to do a serpentine belt conversion too

RHD 7.5lbs flywheel and clutch masters clutch

23.5 lb pink top injectors

Walbro 255 pump

GM intake air temp sensor

Square Motorsport e36 tps adapter and bmw e36 tps

Mega squirt 2 now tuned by solani performance of mcallen texas

AKG Motorsport red motor and trans mounts

AKG Motorsport short shifter with AKG DSSR

Clutch fan delete with flex a lite 16" fan and controller

Turner Motorsport coolest mod (nut where fan clutch was)

New bmw coil

IRE 8mm wire set

AEM wide band with controller

New bmw narrow band

Bosch r6 plugs

2.93 lsd medium case with aluminum front mounts and green urethane rear mount

All urethane bushings everywhere

UUC sway bars

H and R race springs on bilstein b8's

Z3 rack with garagistic install kit

Garagistic solid steering coupler

Garagistic strut tower bars and rear shock reinforcement

Condor center vent gauge mount with bosch gauges

Steering wheel from Bulgaria

Deleted all hvac system

Sparco corsa front seats with 4 point harnesses

I guess that's more than the motor there is lots more to it. And more to come. I have the turbo manifold on the way





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joegreen02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:35 AM   #141
ForcedFirebird
R3V OG
 
ForcedFirebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: WOT-Tech, Florida
Posts: 6,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joegreen02 View Post
If it clears up its back to the dyno to put down closer to 200!

Not sure a stock 2.5 with a cam is going to get to 200. Probably closer to upper 160's, low 170's. None of the other modifications you listed aside from exhaust will increase power. Even deleting the clutch fan only showed me .4whp on a DynoJet (yes, less than a half HP), and that could have just been the typical variance from run to run. Best case I have seen with headers vs stock manifolds was 5whp.
__________________
john@m20guru.com
Links:
Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks
ForcedFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:57 AM   #142
Joegreen02
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Brownsville Texas
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
Not sure a stock 2.5 with a cam is going to get to 200. Probably closer to upper 160's, low 170's. None of the other modifications you listed aside from exhaust will increase power. Even deleting the clutch fan only showed me .4whp on a DynoJet (yes, less than a half HP), and that could have just been the typical variance from run to run. Best case I have seen with headers vs stock manifolds was 5whp.


Edwardo says 175 at the wheels 200ish to the crank. He got some pretty decent power out of it before and it was having some pretty bad crank sensor issues. I've decided to forgo the second na run anyway. Got a turbo manifold coming. some more mandrel bent pipe in the garage and I have a couple turbos I'm looking at. By the time I get on days off again I'll have everything available to pull with a little boost and put down real numbers worth snapping a picture of lol




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joegreen02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:22 PM   #143
JGCUSTOM
Noobie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: New York
Posts: 3
Crazy But Working

How do I Insert Picture of Tuning Map


M20B25 Rebuilt (Stock Internals)
-Arp Head Studs 85ft lbs
-Cometic .140 MLS Headgasket
-Backyard Port n Polish

Custom Turbo Manifold (6-2-1)
-Single MVR44mm wastegate

Precision Turbo 6766BB @20psi (240kpa)
-1000cc injector
-Custom Intake Manifold
-Precision 28x15x4 Intercooler
-Stock Coils
-Autozone Sparkplugs

I built it to see how far i can go with a "Stock" M20b25 engine!
So far its running strong!

I trying to learn the timing limits of a m20 engine with stock distributor!
Everyone says high boost low timing? But all my m20s love high timing!
How delayed are the ignition or coil ?

Any info please

Thank You

Instagram:
https://instagram.com/p/BUKV4cQj-Kg/
_Jgcustom
Lajaim92
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by JGCUSTOM; 05-14-2019 at 12:42 AM.
JGCUSTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:46 PM   #144
SLEEPYDUB
Mod Crazy
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Shreveport, LA
Posts: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGCUSTOM View Post
How do I Insert Picture of Tuning Map


M20B25 Rebuilt (Stock Internals)
-Arp Head Studs 85ft lbs
-Cometic .140 MLS Headgasket
-Backyard Port n Polish

Custom Turbo Manifold (6-2-1)
-Single MVR44mm wastegate

Precision Turbo 6766BB @20psi (240kpa)
-1000cc injector
-Custom Intake Manifold
-Precision 28x15x4 Intercooler
-Stock Coils
-Autozone Sparkplugs

I built it to see how far i can go with a "Stock" M20b25 engine!
So far its running strong!

I trying to learn the timing limits of a m20 engine with stock distributor!
Everyone says high boost low timing? But all my m20s love high timing!
How delayed are the ignition or coil ?

Any info please

Thank You

Instagram:
https://instagram.com/p/BUKV4cQj-Kg/
_Jgcustom
Lajaim92
[IMG][/IMG]
How is this working out for you? That is a fuck ton of timing and im curious how its holding up for you?
SLEEPYDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:20 PM   #145
varg
R3VLimited
 
varg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Palm Beach County, FL
Posts: 2,056
With a compression ratio over a full point lower than stock I'd expect it to need a lot of timing. Given what I've seen of people's settings in these threads I'd also wager that the offset angle is off, further skewing the timing. I had a Volvo B21FT once, 7.5:1 compression ratio from the factory, it needed a lot of timing too.
__________________
@turbovarg
'91 318is, M20B25, T3/T04E 60 trim (15psi), megasquirt, coilovers, Z3 rack, cold AC
[b u i l d]
[Car of the month: April 2018]

Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
varg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:38 PM   #146
SLEEPYDUB
Mod Crazy
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Shreveport, LA
Posts: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by varg View Post
With a compression ratio over a full point lower than stock I'd expect it to need a lot of timing. Given what I've seen of people's settings in these threads I'd also wager that the offset angle is off, further skewing the timing. I had a Volvo B21FT once, 7.5:1 compression ratio from the factory, it needed a lot of timing too.
Im interested in seeing his offset angle and a log!
SLEEPYDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:10 PM   #147
SLEEPYDUB
Mod Crazy
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Shreveport, LA
Posts: 602
Forcefed, you mentioned the 5* drop from 100 to 120kpa. That's what I have going on here as well. It seems to drive well and transition over well. I have verified my tooth angle so timing numbers are correct. What would you suggest that I do to help smooth that transition? This is on E85 BTW.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
SLEEPYDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 - 2020 R3VLimited LLC