R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > General Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-09-2019, 07:57 AM   #1
nealf2002
Noobie

Clutch pedal woes

Hi I just hopped in my ‘87 convertible only to find when I pushed the clutch in, it went right to the floor. I’m sure it’s happened to many many people but never me. Is this a clutch slave cylinder issue, pedal itself somehow breaking? What should I look for? Any troubleshooting agenda?

Thanks.

NealF
nealf2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:09 AM   #2
gwb72tii
No R3VLimiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealf2002 View Post
Hi I just hopped in my ‘87 convertible only to find when I pushed the clutch in, it went right to the floor. I’m sure it’s happened to many many people but never me. Is this a clutch slave cylinder issue, pedal itself somehow breaking? What should I look for? Any troubleshooting agenda?

Thanks.

NealF
A wet carpet would indicate your input cylinder that is attached to the clutch pedal is leaking.
Do you have brake fluid in the reservoir?
Slave cylinder internal seals might be shot
Old 06-09-2019, 12:46 PM   #3
nealf2002
Noobie

Re

Carpet is not wet. No fluid on ground either. Is the clutch Slave/clutch master a job for a DIY’er?
Old 06-09-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
nealf2002
Noobie

Re:

So I realized My fluid level in the reservoir needed to be topped off it wasn’t reaching the fabric line to the clutch stuff I filled up the reservoir and got a little bit of pressure in the clutch pedal close to the floor. Will it build up any more than that or is it something else?
Old 06-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #5
AndrewBird
The Mad Scientist

If you are missing fluid, that means there is a leak. I.E. - The master or slave has failed.

Look under the car and find the slave on the side of the transmission. Pull it out and take the boot off and look for fluid. If it looks dry, it is likely not the issue, meaning the master is bad. Often times it will be leaking, but the boot hold the fluid so you might not see a leak underneath the car.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:27 PM   #6
nealf2002
Noobie

Update

Once I added fluid the pedal came back to normal and I took the car out. Upon return I saw fluid on the ground. Now I will start to figure out where the leak is occurring from.
Thanks

Last edited by nealf2002; 06-09-2019 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Spell
Old 06-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #7
e30davie
E30 Enthusiast

Once you identify the leak, If i were you i would change the master, slave, the fabric pipe and the clutch reservoir all at the same time. The master and slave can be a few dollars but the pipe and the reservoir are cheap as ($20 AUD for the reservoir from genuine bmw). If the master is buggered, the slave won't be far behind.

On the master make sure you buy the little plastic nipple that goes between the master and the rubber pipe. In my experience these cannot be re-used.

Everything will be new, you will only have to bleed the system once, and you wont have to touch it again for another 20yrs.

Last edited by e30davie; 06-09-2019 at 04:08 PM.
e30davie is offline   Reply With Quote