R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > General Forums > Members Rides

Old 02-15-2018, 03:39 PM   #1
BaltimoreBimmer
Grease Monkey

Just bought a z3 coupe and wanted to tell someone so yeah

Its a 2001 z3 3.0i coupe. It has an M54b30 paired with a 5 speed. The car has 48,XXX miles on it and 2 previous owners. First owner leased it for 4 years and put 3X,XXX miles on it. Second owner purchased it shortly there after and babied it till now. Harmon Kardon, heated seats, beige interior. 1 of 26 in this color combination that were sold in north america. I'm super excited :O and just had to tell people. I don't really have car friends so people i know were like, "oh aren't z3's girl cars?" They have no idea.

It's almost completely flawless. Bought it off of an estate sale after the owner passed away. I've always wanted a clowshoe! What do you guys think?

I pick it up on Sunday. I keep forgetting to take pictures of the interior. So I only have exterior photos for now. There is an ever so slight bit of wear on the drivers side bolster but so little that you don't see it in photos. Other than that, the only flaws I have found so far is a tiny bit of the door car vinyl up top at one corner coming off (easily fixable) and the passenger side dash vent seems to not be fully clipped in. Speakers are obviously old af and meh, but not bad all things considered.

It has a beige (much darker than typical e46 beige) interior with silver chrome trim. The leather interior is NOT extended leather, so the dashboard is not leatherclad. While I would enjoy an extended leather interior, most of the examples I found as of late all have peeling issues with the dash areas due to old age and sun exposure. Perhaps it's easier to simply not have to deal with that?

The curves on this thing are unreal. I love it. The weekend cannot come fast enough!
BaltimoreBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:48 PM   #2
2mAn

Very cool. I really want to get one, but my wife (who never has an opinion on cars) doesnt like the way they look...
Previous Car Count : 21 ... and climbing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon View Post
Let it be known to all. Simon fucking keeps it real.
2mAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:53 PM   #3
BaltimoreBimmer
Grease Monkey

Thanks! I was talking to person at work about z3 coupes maybe a month ago and he goes (he has an e65 m5)

"Oh you mean that car bmw has that looks like a hears?" and I was like ".....uh yeah, that's the one and a pretty accurate description."

I was also looking at e46 m3s and e39 m5s but intersetingly enough, my GF was the one who pressured me endlessly to get a "clownshoe." She adores them.

I'm kind of nervous to drive this car around and get dings from dingus's in random parking lots.... Idk what I will do haha

I think my favorite part is the comical antenna dead center in the rear. Makes the car look like a toy remote controlled car!
Old 02-15-2018, 04:00 PM   #4
rturbo 930
R3VLimited

I have a soft spot for Z coupes. Grats man.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:04 PM   #5
MrBurgundy
No R3VLimiter

Nice car. Big fan of the clown shoe.

The m54b30 is such a great motor, especially driving around town.

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)
MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:05 PM   #6
jhaurimn
R3VLimited

enjoy looks very nice
1987 325ic
Past:
2001 330ci
2001 M3
jhaurimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:07 PM   #7
ttrousdell
E30 Mastermind

Send a message via AIM to ttrousdell
Awesome little car you got there. Ive driven my buddies Z3 mcoupe with s52 and they are great handling machines.
ttrousdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:10 PM   #8
BaltimoreBimmer
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Nice car. Big fan of the clown shoe.

The m54b30 is such a great motor, especially driving around town.
Yeah, I was struggling between an m54 coupe or an S52 coupe. Obviously we all want that incredible, arguable absurd, S54 coupe, but that is wayyyy out of my price range.

I ended up going with the m54 since I used to own an e46 m54b25 so am extremely familiar with the powerplant.

Plus, most m coupes in my price range are hilariously molested and quite honestly vastly overpriced for what they are. Having looked at several in person, they were generally not very well maintained yet demanding 20,000 plus.

Either way, I'm very excited for this car! only 11 hp down on the s52!

Also, I find it hilarious how this z3 coupe is like a frankenstein of bmws. It's got the e30 rear end, the e36 (ish) chassis, and an e46 engine. Since I own an e30 and and e46 it only made sense

Not to mention, every s52 m coupe is an earlier model than my 2001 z3 coupe. I just cannot stand the old style m coupe (or z3 m52 coupe) center gauges/switches. The push buttons just don't look right to me.

I'll post some interior shots when I pick it up

my choices were either this immaculately low mileaged z3 coupe or a 150k+ mile s52 m coupe that would be silver.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:19 PM   #9
MrBurgundy
No R3VLimiter

I would have made the same choice you did.

Dat low end torque is so nice.

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)
MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:30 PM   #10
AWDBOB
R3VLimited

I didn't know they made a Z3 variant with an M54....donno how I slept on that. Awesome for you because the M54 is a great motor!

Also, the quarters and fenders are the same, correct? The M just had differing wheels and bumpers? If so, that's an easy fix.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:47 PM   #11
wworm
E30 Mastermind

I've always wanted one of these. Didnt know they came with an m54 though...pretty cool.
wworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:08 PM   #12
2mAn

This is the one I would get too because you couldn’t get the aluminum M52 motor in the clown. Love it. The right set of wheels will be badass
Previous Car Count : 21 ... and climbing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon View Post
Let it be known to all. Simon fucking keeps it real.
2mAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:14 PM   #13
BaltimoreBimmer
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBOB View Post

Also, the quarters and fenders are the same, correct? The M just had differing wheels and bumpers? .
Correct, the fender flares are exactly the same size. Aka wide af

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mAn View Post
The right set of wheels will be badass
See, I also was not a huge fan of these wheels when I was first looking at the car. Just didn't like em. I thought that Style 32s (stock option on some z coupes) looked the best. However, these 2 piece bbs's are seriously growing on me. I don't think I will be swapping rims anytime soon. I actually prefer them now lol. Perhaps I can pick work in an extra set of rims for winter tires and go from there. (what wheels are you guys thinking when you say change wheels? the m coupe stars?)

One thing that DOES bother me now that I have noticed.....is the side view mirros. THey are so freaking RECTANGULAR and blocky, when the rest of the car is so swoopy and gentle. I think I will most likely upgrade to m3 mirrors.

The m54 is great for me. I loved my e46 (it died a horrible death recently, I don't wanna talk about it) so this should be a good replacement,

Last edited by BaltimoreBimmer; 02-15-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:24 PM   #14
BaltimoreBimmer
Grease Monkey

So I'm completing the financials this weekend. I'm buying the car in PA but live in MD. Will I have to pay sales tax in both states? I had dinner with my parents tonight and they were saying MD might charge me sales tax when I get it registered or what not. Is that true? Seems ridiculous to have to double dip on taxes, but at the same time I can see some truth to it. Afterall, I am using their roads etc.

But wth, It's not like if I buy any other good in another state that I will have to pay sales tax AGAIN in MD. I'll probably be asking my local tag and title shop tomorrow but figured I'd see if you guys have any experience with that. I've only ever bought cars in MD
Old 02-15-2018, 05:51 PM   #15
vtechnik
Grease Monkey

Mannn, I'm jealous. I miss owning a black car, those curves are so pronounced with black paint.

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS
vtechnik is offline   Reply With Quote