R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > M3 Technical & Discussion

Old 04-15-2019, 06:59 PM   #706
CurrusDei
Mod Crazy

UUUGH I just checked and from my last update photo to today i have 770 pics.
This. Might. Take. A bit.
CurrusDei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:59 PM   #707
CurrusDei
Mod Crazy

Ok here goes. This is a lot to update. I'll put it up piece by piece and descriptions may not be as detailed, but ask if you have questions. Also this isnt going to be in any strict order - just semi-coherent area by area

Got a new cap. So i got that going for me, which is nice

Filling time

MTL for Trans

MT-90 for Diff

Speaking of the diff. This took a while, but I was able to find a reasonable match for the cable tie that keeps on the speedo sensor. Turnsout the best fit is a tamper-resistant seal that is used for cargo shipments. The things you learn doing this stuff...

Old one

New one

Belting

Oh and, i had installed my fan backwards - so i fixed that

Cowl Covers:

This little guy hooks to the check valve on the charcoal canister. I didnt like how it wasnt very waterproof with the connectors exposed. You know, because waterproofing is key in a car that will never see rain. Anyways...

Fixed

This is the housing for the clutch pedal sensor. The housing looks like garbage and the metal has that Statue of Liberty patina thing going on - which isnt great for conductivity

The brake pedal uses a black housing which is the mirror image of this one. It was used in the E39s so it is easy to find. The white one seems to be NLA. I couldnt even find it in RealOEM or after a lot of digging online, soooo

Found a connector with the same interface, modified the back end to make it accept the connectors, which i cleaned up with Wurth Contact Cleaner and some wire brushes

My fix. only thing is the plugs can back out when you're plugging it in if you dont watch them Might put some putty or something in there eventually but wanted to keep it easy to service

My battery from years ago was way, way dead. So I got a Bosch one that exactly fits the M3, factory tie downs, vent provision and everything. Surprisingly this was available at PepBoys - rare that i can source anything from the chains

Oh AND. Letting that old non-vented battery sit in my trunk for a while made me wonder if it was starting to hurt the battery tray. My paranoia paid off. When i took up the tray i found that there was already yellow residue gathering on the paint, which fortunately was not yet damaged.
If anyone ever tells you that you dont need to vent your E30 battery - dont listen.
As for me i broke out the baking soda, short brush, and steam cleaner and went to town

All better with the battery vent box installed. These used to be a lot bigger, but now they're tiny. The plug going down isnt long enough to completely clear the rubber grommet, so i added some extra line onto it to make sure the vapors vent far enough away that they dont back up in to the tray.

Exhaust. I looked through my old exhaust and determined that it is too roached out (tech term) to bother restoring. Whoever welded on this thing must not have had opposable thumbs. Anyone else spot the stick weld element still attached in one of the pics below?

So here's the replacement.

VSR high flow cat factory style stainless steel, dual 2" with ceramic exterior coating

BMW OEM EVO III Muffler

Those little rocks are from the pre-coating tumbling process. I got them out after this pic. May have the flange to pipe transition welded smooth.

I also cleaned off that yellowish stuff in the pic below

Excuse the pollen on the pipes in this last one. That stuff is everywhere now, including in garages

I'm going to have it all welded to gether by Origin Fab. Here's a small sample of their work:

Old 04-16-2019, 01:42 AM   #708
0-60Motorsports

Send a message via AIM to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via MSN to 0-60Motorsports
Coming along great. That exhaust is going to sound great.
0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #709
LateFan
No R3VLimiter

Nice welds, wow.

Second on the battery venting.

SO much shiny aluminum in here! Is it painted or vapor blasted?
LateFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:06 AM   #710
CurrusDei
Mod Crazy

Header is factory, ceramic coated (Calico Coatings) inside and out
Mid Section is VSR, stainless, ceramic coated by VSR outside only (inside would mess with cats)
Muffler is OEM (Evo III) no coatings