Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > M3 Technical & Discussion

Old 08-22-2017, 09:18 PM   #601
Jean

Whoa!
Old 08-23-2017, 09:08 AM   #602
FredK
R3V OG

Send a message via AIM to FredK
Criminy those plated parts came out beautifully!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whysimon View Post
WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)
FredK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:57 AM   #603
CurrusDei
E30 Addict

Thanks. I some myself an some professionally. Interested to see if mine are better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CurrusDei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:38 PM   #604
BMG
Noobie

Could I ask a cheeky favour the next time you are out in the garage working on your car ?
I'm missing the parts that hold the front bumper indicators ( the ones above the spot lights ) and they are unavailable to buy. I also have my bumper away from home in long term storage during the restoration, so not able to try and mock anything up.
The ETK shows what I guess is a stud on a square plate which slots into the bumper and which the indicator in mounted on 2 rubber mounts.
Next time you are working on the bumper, is it possible you could take measurements of the part and post them here so I can fab something up ?
Cheers

Excellent work on the restoration btw. The detailed pics on the reassembly of things like the wiring and trim bits is going to prove invaluable to me when I get to that point.
BMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:55 PM   #605
CurrusDei
E30 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMG View Post
Could I ask a cheeky favour the next time you are out in the garage working on your car ?
Sure. Happy to. I'm actually missing one (P.O. had it held in with a regular bolt and stack of washers. My plan was to check local pull-a-part yards on regular E30s as i believe some of them use this part as well. Funny enough - actually have a picture of the part on my desktop...

I have the measurements somewhere too. Next time I'm out there I'll grab my calipers. Also, if you do make something - PM me as i might be interested in one.

Speaking of interesting things. Look who's home...

Timing chain tensioner area before was caked in oil...

New-style AC bracket in place. Waiting for a Sanden.

More to show later (everything is back from Korman). Just some quick pics for now.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:44 AM   #606
Alaska Ted
Advanced Member

Beautiful
Alaska Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:37 AM   #607
BMG
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrusDei View Post
Sure. Happy to. I'm actually missing one (P.O. had it held in with a regular bolt and stack of washers. My plan was to check local pull-a-part yards on regular E30s as i believe some of them use this part as well. Funny enough - actually have a picture of the part on my desktop...

I have the measurements somewhere too. Next time I'm out there I'll grab my calipers. Also, if you do make something - PM me as i might be interested in one.

Many thanks. Seems the part is M3 specific and looking at the ETK for other E30s ( I just checked a couple ) they use just an ordinary screw to attach the body of the indicator.
I will post up if I find anything or fab something up. I'm cleaning up boxes of bits and thought simply doing the indicators would be a 2 min job, but no. Some previous owner bodged something up, and even the reflector lens inside one of them was mangled, both bits being unavailable along with complete units.
BMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:11 AM   #608
IronJoe
R3VLimited

Quote:

I had the same problem with my bumper. I went to the local hardware store and found metric "elevator bolts" as they are called. They are a flat round head. I bought some and trimmed the sides of the head down to a squared-off edge and they slid right in the bumper.

You'll also need to come up with some sort of rubber stand-offs if you don't have those as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeSonic View Post
Totally. Pink shirts and four bangers lol
IronJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:08 AM   #609
parkerbink
R3V OG

Send a message via AIM to parkerbink Send a message via MSN to parkerbink Send a message via Yahoo to parkerbink
Beyond amazing.

On the black trim on the doors under the windows, you painted, do you think your process would work on chrome? I want my chrome trim on my cabrio black and many parts are NLE it is 70+ per strip, over 700 for all of it.

Last edited by parkerbink; 09-11-2017 at 11:58 AM.
parkerbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:15 AM   #610
CurrusDei
E30 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe View Post
You'll also need to come up with some sort of rubber stand-offs if you don't have those as well.
I do have the rubber gaskets. those are still available. I may have to mock something up, but I would much prefer the original thing. I'll have to look around a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbink View Post
Beyond amazing.

On the black trim on the doors under the windows, you painted, do you think your process would work on chrome? I want my chrome trim on my cabrio black and many parts are NLE it is 70+ per strip, over 700 for all of it.

If I were painting chrome i would make sure to sand very well, use a good primer, and use multiple light coats. No reason I would think for it not to work, but do at your own risk. Find a bad piece of chrome to try first.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:35 AM   #611
parkerbink
R3V OG

Send a message via AIM to parkerbink Send a message via MSN to parkerbink Send a message via Yahoo to parkerbink
Thanks!

parkerbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:18 PM   #612
IronJoe
R3VLimited

Quote:
I do have the rubber gaskets. those are still available. I may have to mock something up, but I would much prefer the original thing. I'll have to look around a bit.

Let me know if you find anything. I'd sure like to have originals too. According to RealOEM it looks like they were an M3 only part.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...758&series=E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeSonic View Post
Totally. Pink shirts and four bangers lol
IronJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #613
bradnic
R3VLimited

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbink View Post
Beyond amazing.
If I were painting chrome i would make sure to sand very well, use a good primer, and use multiple light coats. No reason I would think for it not to work, but do at your own risk. Find a bad piece of chrome to try first.
Exactly what I did on my vert. link in sig for pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnic View Post
Just finished prepping the 6 trim pieces I didn't buy in shadowline. After about 6 tries they're just about perfect now also painting the front door window trim and leading edge of the quarter window. Using SEM 39143 Trim Black, which is great stuff but getting everything prepped and painted has taken close to 8 hours. Pics up tomorrow along with a test mount of the painted bumpers.
88 325ix Lachsilber/Cardinal
91 325ic Calypso Euro'd HT Alpinas & ITBs

OEM+ or bust
BMWCCA 466760
instagram

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.... I still do all of my own labor
TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in the E30
e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.
bradnic is offline   Reply With Quote