R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > General Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2019, 08:32 AM   #3406
JimmyP
Grease Monkey

Good insight.
Im not a fan of the E36 at all so to me it just seemed like "hey this is the car we should have got, that everyone bitches we didnt" and it didnt seem to be getting much interest at all while much more pedestrian cars had the E36 fanbois fawning all over them..

So how many "special" E36s were there (outside the boring US "Lightweight")?
I know a guy who raced a GTR which was pretty cool, thats really the only special one Im aware of. The only E36 that ever got my attention LOL.

At anywhere near that $20K-ish I'd rather have an E46M3, I think its overall a much sexier car.
88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
98 318Ti Morea Green
04 325i Touring Alpine
04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine
JimmyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:35 AM   #3407
bimma360
Forum Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to bimma360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
Good insight.
Im not a fan of the E36 at all so to me it just seemed like "hey this is the car we should have got, that everyone bitches we didnt" and it didnt seem to be getting much interest at all while much more pedestrian cars had the E36 fanbois fawning all over them..

I know a guy who raced a GTR which was pretty cool, thats really the only special one Im aware of. The only E36 that ever got my attention LOL.

At anywhere near that $20K-ish I'd rather have an E46M3, I think its overall a much sexier car.
I think the ones I mentioned are the "special" ones, generally speaking. I'm sure there are some others with unique stories (like a US LTW that had a euro s50 installed by PTG), but I think thats about it. I'll say this though, I don't think the US LTW is boring. I am not an encyclopedia of e36 knowledge, but I think the LTW got a tad more lightweight treatment than the euro GT cars. Which I think is pretty cool. Yes, we didn't get the original motorsport derived engine but I don't think the motor alone necessarily constitutes whether a car is boring. If it did, than every single m20 e30 would be boring. And I think everyone will agree, that an all stock e30 is actually pretty boring haha. Luckily it only takes slight tweaking to make them extremely fun. And the same could actually be said for the US E36 M3.

I've been daily driving an e36 M3 for the last 6 years (still have the e30), and I love the thing for the same reasons I love the e30. In fact, I think both cars are incredibly similar. I'd say that the e36 M3 is 80% the e30 experience, with a tad more oomph and a bit more comfort. And I think a good part of that is the US spec engine. By us getting the "inferior" motor we got another chassis car like the e30. Which for me is one of the biggest reasons why I love the e30. And an S52 with some bolt ons and very mild cams, yields EU S50B30 HP and a better torque curve. It brings the power into the sweet spot for the chassis without overpowering it, and is also the reason why I don't really regard the EU S50B30 very highly. I may be an oddball though. I've learned that I much prefer a less powerful car I can really wring out on the street than I more powerful one I can only drive at 5/10's and still face jail time. There is nothing like rolling through the gears.

bimma360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #3408
2mAn

1990 S14- swapped 325i
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-bmw-325is-25/
Attached Images

-1968 Datsun Roadster 2000 - happiness of pursuit
Previous Car Count : 20 ... so far...
2mAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:22 AM   #3409
Powling
E30 Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mAn View Post
1990 S14- swapped 325i
I saw someone comment on this posted on FB earlier today when the bid was low $7k and their comment was "This is a good price for this"

Clearly never been on BAT or an online auction before. Lol.
Powling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:08 AM   #3410
bimma360
Forum Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powling View Post
I saw someone comment on this posted on FB earlier today when the bid was low $7k and their comment was "This is a good price for this"

Clearly never been on BAT or an online auction before. Lol.
Haha or simply doesn't have any concept of the e30 market, period. Doesn't an S14 by itself go for about that much haha?

My buddy has a freshly painted (interlagos blue) vert, with some mtech2 stuff, with a reupholstered interior, BBS RM's, very minor mods, new top, and no rust parked in his garage. Without getting into the whole story some local high school kid approached him about selling it, and in so many words my buddy basically said it would take no less than $8k to consider a sale. The kid copped an attitude, and basically said you can get S50 swapped cars for less than that. Hahaha yeah ok. Some people just have blinders on.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:23 PM   #3411
SOneThreeCoupe

Quote:
The M3 GT was pretty cool. More power, 3.23 rear, BRG paint with Mexico green leather. Front and rear GT spoilers. Alloy doors. Type 24s. Carbon trim.

Early Evo coupes weren't all that special but did potentially have alloy doors until '97 production began in 9/96.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:21 AM   #3412
Juganator
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimma360 View Post
Haha or simply doesn't have any concept of the e30 market, period. Doesn't an S14 by itself go for about that much haha?

My buddy has a freshly painted (interlagos blue) vert, with some mtech2 stuff, with a reupholstered interior, BBS RM's, very minor mods, new top, and no rust parked in his garage. Without getting into the whole story some local high school kid approached him about selling it, and in so many words my buddy basically said it would take no less than $8k to consider a sale. The kid copped an attitude, and basically said you can get S50 swapped cars for less than that. Hahaha yeah ok. Some people just have blinders on.
I'm trying to sell a vert now and I think some people just don't see where the E30 market is going. There are considerably less clean E30's around now than there was 10 or so years ago. The ones that survived the drift era will shoot up in value. I wish some people shopping for E30's did the slightest bit of research because if they are offended by E30 prices now they're going to be very mad in 5 years or so.
Juganator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #3413
bimma360
Forum Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juganator View Post
I'm trying to sell a vert now and I think some people just don't see where the E30 market is going. There are considerably less clean E30's around now than there was 10 or so years ago. The ones that survived the drift era will shoot up in value. I wish some people shopping for E30's did the slightest bit of research because if they are offended by E30 prices now they're going to be very mad in 5 years or so.
People just need to come back to earth. Its very simple really. If someone has a set budget and they are having a hard time finding what they want the answer is very very simple. Raise your budget or change your criteria. The prices of the cars are not the problem. They are what they are. They either get sold, or they don't and the person lowers the price or keeps the car. Its that simple.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:02 AM   #3414
Jb325is
R3VLimited

Send a message via AIM to Jb325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mAn View Post
1991 318is
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...18is-coupe-19/

(Sorry Zeemz, didn't see you had posted it already....
Anyone on here know anything about this car? I was looking back at this auction because I was considering buying a similar car that needs paint and flipping on BaT. I wish there was more feedback on these auctions post sale- This car looks to have a pretty shitty paint job if you watch the video, I wonder what the buyer's expectations were @ that price.

<3
Jb325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #3415
reelizmpro
R3V OG

Quote:
Good insight.

Hitting the nail on the head as usual. Yeah, the LTW's were made in limited numbers but how special is a US spec E36 M3 really? The ROW scoffs at US spec E36 M3's. $20k??? At anywhere near $10K-ish I'd rather have an E46 M3.

85 323i M TECH 1 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
89 M3 S52 - SEPANG BRONZE/SCHWARZE
91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER
reelizmpro is offline   Reply With Quote