R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Forced Induction

Old 10-15-2017, 05:34 PM   #1
nomansland92
E30 Mastermind

Lets talk water cooled turbo plumbing

Previously ive always ran oil cooled journal bearing turbos but finially making the jump to a ceramic ball bearing water cooled garrett. So the question is what is the ideal location to feed and return the coolant. From the research ive done people are saying to fees with the old throttle body lines and return it to the block at the drain bolt.

I feel like that a line from the block drain on the passenger side would actaully be feeding the turbo and running thw drain side to the thermostat housing might be the best option? Any one else have thoughts on this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here
nomansland92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:40 PM   #2
e30davie
E30 Enthusiast

I would be looking to oem water cooled turbo engines and seeing how they do it. And then trying to copy as close as possible.
e30davie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
ForcedFirebird
R3V OG

Just use the throttle body heater lines, they always have flow and are actually the correct size. One runs to the thermostat housing, the other to the back of the block where #6 cyl meets the head.
ForcedFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:55 PM   #4
nomansland92
E30 Mastermind

^ that was my first thouht, then i started doing a research and probably over complicated it lol. I think you right though, and that would be the best option. the line out of the block would be cold feed and the line to the thermostat wouls act as the return.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here
nomansland92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:21 AM   #5
ForcedFirebird
R3V OG

You can run the water cooled turbos and just don't hook up the coolant lines and they work fine being oil-only.
ForcedFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:33 PM   #6
HCMW Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30davie View Post
I would be looking to oem water cooled turbo engines and seeing how they do it. And then trying to copy as close as possible.

Something like an N54 is no help. Dedicated holes in the block and returns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HCMW Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:25 AM   #7
citizen_insane
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
You can run the water cooled turbos and just don't hook up the coolant lines and they work fine being oil-only.
This depends on the turbo. If you have an aluminum center housing, you must run water cooling. With the cast iron ones, it's usually fine not to water cool, but it's always better to do so. You'll generally have a longer lasting bearing system if you do (less oil coking).

Regarding OP, I am planning to run the stock heater hose routing for my setup. Feed from back of block and then return to the thermostat. I haven't started running it, but that's what my research led me to. The key thing to remember is to put the return hose on the upper side (like you have in your illustration) so that you get natural thermal siphoning of the coolant when you shut down the engine.
citizen_insane is offline   Reply With Quote